I am adding high quality olive oil as Number 13 to the Post “You Are A Temple Of God: Helpful Health Hints” after receiving an article today from a well respected health website ( http://www.naturalnews.com/ ) I subscribe to. Although the actual gist of the report deals with quality olive oil being the BEST oil for frying, it nevertheless highlights the NUMEROUS benefits of this wonderful oil.
Of course, olive oil is mentioned favorably and prominently many times in the Scriptures, as well.
The article is actually entitled “Olive oil is the healthiest choice when it comes to frying food, study finds” ( http://www.naturalnews.com/047476_olive_oil_healthy_food_fried_foods.html ) but it nicely goes into mentioning the many benefits of this amazing fruit. The study was published in October of this year, and you can click on the article address above and read the full report but I will give you a few highlights here:
1. High quality olive oil tested the best for remaining stable at deep frying between 320 and 374 degrees Fahrenheit. This is usually the ‘MEDIUM’ setting on a typical electric burner.
2. It also maintained “its impeccable, healthy qualities” at these high temperatures, and they actually reused the SAME oil 10 times!!
3. The best type is ‘virgin’ or ‘extra virgin’. (Personally, I use organic, first cold pressed and extra virgin.)
4. In addition to the study noting that “olive oil has an abundance of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. It has been used for centuries for its anti-inflammatory properties. Because it is derived directly from the fruit of the plant, it also helps with digestion.”, it went on to list compounds common to the oil that treat a variety of ailments.
5. Further more, “One “prominent cardiologist” recommends consuming up to two tablespoons a day to fully enjoy the oil’s various benefits, reports the Olive Oil Times.”
Regarding Number 5, I have been doing this for years by trying to consume a tablespoon of organic, first cold pressed, extra virgin oil at each meal. For better utilization and absorption, I slowly swish it around in my mouth and swallow it piecemeal when consuming it directly.
If you can’t find quality olive oil near you, there are excellent selections at http://www.amazon.com and http://www.vitacost.com at reasonable prices. It you make minimum purchases, shipping is FREE.
UPDATE 01/20/2015: Here is an additional article I received today on the excellent benefits of high quality (preferably organic, unfiltered, cold pressed and extra virgin) oil: http://www.naturalnews.com/048332_olive_oil_phenolic_compounds_oleic_acid.html .
In closing, a number of reliable sources recommend a high quality coconut oil and avocado oil for cooking at higher temperatures.